Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Oct 16- 2 weeks to update!

Wow! It feels like I haven't emailed in forever and there is a lot to update on! This email might be a jumbled mess of information and events, so I apologize in advance.

First: Shout out for Conference! It was amazing! I can't wait for the talks to come out in the Liahona/ Ensign next month so that we can read them and study them a little more. Its totally true what they say: General Conference is really exciting on your mission. It was like Christmas! Haha!

Second: Fernando's baptism went great! After his baptism he was the happiest I have ever seen him, and everytime we have seen him since then he has had an extra happiness about him. He is such an amazing kid! I love him! Ill send some pictures of the baptism a little later =]

Third: Transfers! There is A LOT that has happened with transfers. First, Elder Collins went home last week! Its crazy! Our 12 weeks together flew by and I am really going to miss him. He was an awesome trainer and there was never a dull moment being his companion. Quick funny story: So, last Wednesday was P-Day and we used it to finish packing up Elder Collins stuff and get everything ready to send home (thus why I didnt email. Sorry!) At the end of the day he had a few things that wouldnt fit in his bags/ boxes that he wanted to send home: 2 paintings of boats, a bead curtain, a tea set, and an old typewriter. He is a goof. Anyway, the Sister Missionaries were able to take us to a UPS store in downtown Providence so that we could mail off his boxes and hopefully his other random stuff too; the only problem was that they couldn't give us a ride back, but we, being smart prepared missionaries, didn't think too much about it. So, we get to the UPS store, find out that mailing everything that he wanted to mail would be WAY too expensive, decide to just send off his boxes, and, when all was said and done, we were stuck in downtown Providence (about an hour walk from home) with 2 big paintings, a bead curtain, and an old typewriter. Stuff like that happened to Elder Collins and I way too often haha. Anyway, after walking through downtown Providence with said miscellaneous items for about 30 minutes, we finally found a member to give us a ride home. That was Elder Collins and I last big adventure together!

Before I continue with transfers, I should give you a little background info! A couple weeks ago I got a call from President asking me if I would train one of the new Spanish missionaries coming to the mission. I was thinking, "Train?! I only have 4 months! I'm the one that needs more training!" haha It was a little bit of a scary thought because I'm still learning the language and feel like I'm just barely getting the hang of being a missionary, but lets just say that I have learned something very important from this transfer experience and this is it: Heavenly Father knows each one of us perfectly. He knows exactly what we need in any moment. He knows when to push us and when to give us a little bit of extra help. Lets just say, the Lord blessed me with A LOT of extra help in the form of my "trainee" companion =] His name is Elder Gonzalez, he is from Utah, originally from Mexico, he has the "18-year-old, just graduated from high school" missionary fire, can speak 4 languages fluently (aka he is going to/already has helped my Spanish a ton. We talk almost completely in Spanish together), he is insanely smart, he has so many awesome insights, and basically... he is pre-trained. So yeah, our companionship rocks. Elder Berthelson (my AZ buddy from the MTC) is staying here in Providence too AND his companion is native from Mexico as well! Basically, we are going to be a Pro Spanish speaking district! We are pretty pumped =]

Well, that is most of the major stuff that has happened the past two weeks and I think it will do for now! I love you all tons and tons and tons and hope life is treating you all well =]

Love,
Elder Stones
 
Fernando's and Aaron's Baptism- No body is looking at the camera... but its the best picture we got haha

 
Elder Collin's and I with Jeffrey, one of the Young men from the ward
 
Elder Gonzalez and I
 
We did an activity with the youth in which they got the opportunity to share the book of Mormon on an "airplane" (aka chairs set up in rows like an airplane with a little bit of special lighting and a microphone so that we could have the announcing flight attendant) Anyway, we put on mustaches and became "flight attendant missionaries" on the airline: Celestial Airs. Too fun (Thank you Turner family for the mustaches =] )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment